How do I edit my event's registration form?
Managing your event's registration form
As an Admin Event User, you have the ability to create and customize the registration form that attendees can access from your event microsite. It is important to have a good grasp of how the Event Form Editor works so that you can make the most of all it's features and create a form that is completely bespoke for your event.
To begin creating or editing your Event Registration Form, enter your Event Dashboard and click on the 'Edit Event Form' tile - this will take you directly to the form editor. If you are yet to set up your event registration form, you will see a single page with the title 'Your Information' and the fields 'First Name' and 'Last Name' already pre-populated for you. To begin editing any of these, click on the relevant page/field on the center of the page and the options available to be edited for the page/field will be displayed on the column to the right of the page. If you wish to remove this page and start anew, click on page title ('Your Information') in the center section of the page and then click on the 'Delete' option displayed on the right side of the page - this will remove the current page and any fields within.
The Event Form Editor allows you to Reset, Save and Preview any changes you make to your registration form - these options are available at the top of the editing area at all times. It is worth making a mental note to Save as often as possible (by clicking the 'Save' button) as there is no automatic saving in place, and if you forget to save you could easily lose your work!
Adding a new Page:
To begin creating a new page, click the 'Add' option at the top of the right hand section of the page. Once selected, click the 'Add Page' option, give your page a name and then hit 'Save' - voila, your first page is now ready to have some fields added to it! The ability to add a new page is also available as a 'quick option' on the Pages column on the far left of the Form Editor area.
Multiple pages allow an attendee to skip to different parts of the registration form where a lot of data is required to be captured - they can do this by clicking on the page titles displayed down the left of the registration form when registering/editing their registration.
Adding a new Field:
To begin adding fields to your new page, first ensure that you have the page selected by clicking on the Page name displayed on the left hand column (when selected, this will show the Page name in the center as well). Click the 'Add' button on the right again and select 'Add Field' and a new field will be displayed in the center of the page (at the top of the central area). If you have more than one field present and with to re-arrange their ordering, you can simply drag and drop the fields into the order you would like them to appear. The ability to add a field to your current page is also available as a 'quick option' at the top of the editor 'preview' area of the Editor area.
A field has the following options available to be set:
- Data Type - this sets the type of data you wish to capture in your field. This can be plain text, numbers, Yes/No, date or phone number. Choosing a specific data type will change the way the field accepts data entered by the attendee, for example 'Yes/No' provides a checkbox instead of an area to enter text.
- Text - this area allows you to add a descriptive label to your new field, as well as some help text to assist the attendee in what they are required to submit in this particular field.
- Properties - this allows you to set a field as 'mandatory' and set a default value for the field. You can also make the field 'Admin Visible Only', meaning it will only show when a registration is viewed by an Admin Event User - this is handy for collecting any 'back office' information required for registrations.
- Widget - this defines the way the field appears when the attendee views the field on the registration form. This field is set to text field (single line) by default, but can also be set to text area (large box), email address or dropdown menu if required. You will also see the option for radio buttons become available if you choose to add multiple choices to your field (see further down for more information).
- Depends On - this allows you to set the field to only appear when a specific field has been selected. For example, if you choose to add a checkbox asking if the attendee wishes to book accommodation, if the 'Depends On' option has been selected for the following accomodation field then this field will remain hidden unless the user selects the checkbox.
- Choices - this option allows you to provide multiple choices to the attendee to choose from (such as what meetings they would like to attend etc). By adding a choice label, this will appear as a dropdown or radio button option (depending on your widget preference) on the field, and you can choose whatever you like for the stored value (meaning you can add internal codes to be captured on the registration form instead of the title of the meeting/activity). You also have the ability to add a blank value in the multiple choices - this allows you to allow the attendee to complete this field at a later date if no defaults are required.
- Checkpoint - Creates a checkpoint for attendees who select the current field. This is only available on fields requiring a user to click on a checkbox to continue.
Adding a new Section:
To add a new section to your registration form, first ensure that you have the correct page selected by clicking on the Page name displayed on the left hand column (when selected, this will show the Page name in the center as well). Click the 'Add' button on the right again and select 'Add Section' and a new section will be displayed in the center of the page (at the top of the central area). If you have more than one section present and with to re-arrange their ordering, you can simply drag and drop the new section into the order you would like it to appear. A new section added will also contain a new field (by default) - this can be removed or moved to a different section if required.
A new section has the following options available to be set:
- Section Title - this is the title that will be displayed on the registration form when viewed by an attendee
- Depends On - this allows you to set the entire to only appear when specific field has been selected. This allows attendees not having specific requirements to complete their registration without having to go through the entire form.
Adding an Info Section:
The purpose of the info section is to add any important information that requires the attendee to read before they continue with their registration - for example, this could be detailing the property providing accommodation and the rooms on offer, or a specific set of meetings or activities you wish to make the attendee aware of. To add an info section to your registration form, first ensure that you have the correct page selected by clicking on the Page name displayed on the left hand column (when selected, this will show the Page name in the center as well). Click the 'Add' button on the right again and select 'Add Info Section' and a new section will be displayed in the center of the page (at the top of the central area). The new info section can be dragged and dropped into the order you would like it to appear if required.
If you wish to format the text displayed in your info section, you will need to use a form of text formatting called 'Markdown'. You can view more about how to use Markdown by clicking here or viewing this article article in our Knowledge Base.
Adding an Accommodation Section:
The purpose of the Accommodation Section is to allow you to quickly create a section covering accommodation on your registration form without having to add multiple fields yoursef. Adding an Accommodation Section provides you with 4 fields - Accommodation Required (checkbox), Accommodation Checkin Date (Date field), Accommodation Checkout Date (Date field) and Accommodation Number Of Guests (Number field). These can all be edited and have dependences added as required.
To add an Accommodation Section to your registration form, first ensure that you have the correct page selected by clicking on the Page name displayed on the left hand column (when selected, this will show the Page name in the center as well). Click the 'Add' button on the right again and select 'Add Accommodation Section' and a new section will be displayed in the center of the page (at the top of the central area). The new Accommodation Section can be dragged and dropped into the order you would like it to appear if required.
Editing Pages, Sections and Fields:
To edit a Page, Section or Field, simply click on the relevant item/text displayed on the central area of the page. You can edit Pages, Sections and Fields at any time, and any changes you make can be previewed using the 'Preview' button at the top right of the area - this will display the form exactly how your attendee will see it in your event. If you wish to delete any Pages, Sections and Fields, click on the red 'Delete' button on the right hand side of the page when editing - please be aware that when you delete a Page, any content within the page will be deleted as well!
To revert any changes you have made while editing, click the 'Reset' option at the top of the page - this will reset your form to the state it was in the last time you saved. To save any changes, click the 'Save' option displayed in the same area!